As professional carpet cleaners, we know how important it is for your home to be clean and healthy. A healthy home starts from the ground up with clean carpet. Research shows that properly maintained carpet promotes improved indoor air quality for you and your family. In addition to having your carpet professionally cleaned every 12 to 18 months to remove embedded soil, we recommend daily vacuuming as the most important cleaning activity to extend the life of your carpet and enjoy a clean, healthy home.
There are many blogs and articles about reasons why you should replace your carpet. We find that a few of these reasons can be fixed instead of replaced, which saves the homeowner lots of money! Here are 3 things you should consider hiring a professional to do first before paying a lot more to replace the carpet in an entire room or home.
- Carpet Repair – So your carpet is ripped, burned, or bleached? Many professionals like us are able to repair a patch of your carpet to look like brand new again. Carpet repairs in Lawton, Oklahoma are incredibly more affordable than having new carpet installed. We recently saved this homeowner from replacing the carpet in a section of their home:
- Deep-cleaning and/or Stain Removal – There are many times that carpet appears to be so dirty and stained that it can’t be saved. With the correct cleaning agents, equipment, and expertise, the right professional carpet cleaner will be able to deep clean your carpet back to new again! A picture is worth a thousand words, so here is a recent job we did showing stain removal and carpet cleaning before and after results:
- Pet Odor and Urine Stain Removal – One of the top reasons for replacing carpet in homes is odor, usually from pet stains. Dog urine stains and odors are very difficult to remove. As you can see from the image below, stains typically stay in your carpet even when it appears to be clean. Most professional carpet cleaners offer pet odor and stain removal services and/or DIY cleaning products. In order to remove urine stains and odor, it takes a different cleaning agent and a more vigorous cleaning process. Some pet stains are set in too deep for too long to remove them completely.
Hopefully these tips save you a little money now or in the future. If you have any questions concerning carpet services, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
- Change of Season – The best time to have your carpet cleaned is between seasons, especially after “dirty” ones like summer. Fall will be here shortly, so this month is the perfect time to hire a professional to deep clean your carpet.
- Back To School – Your kids and pets have been tracking in dirt and grime during the summer break. Once they return to school, it’s time to give your carpet a professional deep cleaning to be ready for the evenings spent doing homework on the floor.
- Carpet Warranty – Most carpet manufacturers require regular professional cleanings in order to maintain the warranty. Now is the time to check yours and make sure you are on schedule!
“Maintain your carpet according to Mohawk requirements including having a minimum of one (1) professional cleaning every 18 months using cleaning products, equipment, systems and services specified/certified with the CRI Seal of Approval. (Visit www.carpet-rug.org for a complete list of certified products.) You must show proof of cleanings in the form of a bill, invoice or statement for cleaning services.” – quoted from the downloadable brochure located on the Carpet Warranty page of MohawkFlooring.com
In addition to these 3 reasons, the most important reason is for cleanliness and good health. Research shows that properly maintained carpet promotes improved indoor air quality for you and your family. Your carpet acts as a sponge capturing unwanted dust, soil, pollen, dander, food particles, and a host of other contaminants.
As professional carpet cleaners we agree with the IICRC and recommend that carpets be cleaned a minimum of every 12 or 18 months, before it shows soiling. Contact us for more information or to schedule a carpet cleaning for your home or business within Comanche County of Oklahoma.
There is carpet cleaner and then there is carpet protector (we prefer Scotchgard® Brand Protectant). What is the difference, and are they both necessary when looking for professional carpet cleaning services? If you want to extend the life of your carpet, keep it looking new, and clean up spills easily, protect your investment after your carpets have been professionally cleaned with carpet protectant. Be aware that many cleaning companies have the ability to offer carpet protector with carpet cleanings, but some choose not to. When looking for a professional carpet cleaning company, stay away from companies that do not offer all of the services needed to truly clean and maintain your carpets. Here are many reasons why you need a carpet protector such as Scotchgard® in addition to a professional cleaning:
- Protect – Scotchgard® will form a protective seal around each carpet fiber to keep spills from soaking in, keeping them on the surface until they can be blotted up. Not all spills can be prevented from staining, so be sure to use a household stain remover that is recommended or made by a professional such as our Spot Out Stain Removal or Pet Urine Stain Remover.
- Revive – Protectants lighten up and protect high traffic areas that are most affected by soil and stains.
- Reduce – With regular vacuuming, protectants help carpet fibers resist soiling, helping damaging debris to stay away from the fibers.
- Schedule – Your carpet was initially treated with a protectant by the manufacturer. Protectants such as Scotchgard® should last for a year, but will be worn down over time or be removed due to pet urine. The IICRC recommends a professional carpet cleaning every 12-18 months depending on household and pets, which is also perfect timing for a reapplication of protectant.
- Warranty – To keep the carpet warranty in effect, many manufacturers require that carpets are cleaned regularly and applied with protectant each time.
You’ve made a big investment in your carpet. Because carpets “ugly out” before they wear out, we recommend the combination of professional carpet cleaning and Scotchgard® protectant in order to extend the life of your carpet and protect your investment. For more information on carpet cleaning services, please visit our website at www.ateamcarpetclean.com.
As a professional carpet cleaning company, A-Team Carpet Clean strives to try and remove every stain that may fall in your home. However not every stain is removable, regardless of what chemicals are used or how many times it is cleaned. Most stains are removeable, but if not properly treated quickly the carpet will leave a permanent stain. Since this is not common knowledge among our customers, we feel that education is necessary to avoid false expectations for cleaning results. This blog will inform you about carpet stains that absolutely cannot be removed at all or unless treated quickly, and the options for taking care of these permanent stain situations.
Stains That Cannot Be Removed
Important – Always read and follow the care instructions and any warnings provided by your carpet manufacturer. Rugs and carpets with natural fibers and/or certain dyes may require special treatment. If in doubt, contact a cleaning professional for advice and service.
If not treated quickly, the following items will leave stains in your carpet and cannot be removed by a professional cleaning company (much less DIY stain removal techniques) as they will permanently ALTER THE CARPET’S COLOR AND FIBER:
- Acid toilet bowl cleaners
- acne medication
- alkaline drain cleaners
- chlorinated bleach (as pictured here)
- hair dyes
- mustard with turmeric
- plant fertilizers
- long term pet urine stains
The reason that certain chemicals will alter the carpet’s color and fiber is that nylon has dye sites that take color, much like human hair. Along with synthetic fibers that are colored, carpet is also made up of plastic which is made from products similar to plastic water bottles that can be easily physically altered by the wrong chemicals. Call a professional to assess your stains for potential removal or to see if bonded insert services are needed. Most likely the only solution is to insert carpet from a closet, or some other area into the area where the spot is cut out (as seen in this before and after picture).
Professional Stain Removal & Cleaning Benefits
Your best bet to save your carpet is to call a professional carpet cleaner immediately before trying to get the stain out with the thousands of DIY techniques you can find on the internet these days. Some of the DIY techniques will damage your carpet even further, requiring it to be removed when it could have been cleaned properly by a professional with the correct chemicals and cleaning techniques. Carpet cleaning services are much more affordable than bonded insert or complete replacement! We see this scenario play out so many times, so please know that it will save you money in the long run to call a professional before trying to remove stains yourself.
A-Team Carpet Clean offers professional strength pet treatments and spot removers for sale to use in your home. These products are safe for use on your carpets, upholstery, and tough laundry stains. They are designed to remove spots and safely assist in maintaining your carpet between professional yearly cleanings. Contact A-Team for more information on how to purchase these at-home pet treatment or spot remover products.
Another benefit to having a professional clean your carpet is that if any spots are not removed during the initial cleaning process, a legitimate company should employ specialty spotting techniques in order to remove the stains as shown in the before and after picture below. Your carpet should also be treated with Scotchgard Brand Protector to prevent future spots and soiling. Professional cleaning isn’t just for carpet that looks and smells good, it is for preventative purposes and extending the life of your carpet.
Please do not hesitate to contact A-Team Carpet Clean for more information concerning proper stain removal techniques and carpet repair services.
Follow these tips from an industry expert to avoid hiring an unprofessional, “bait and switch” carpet cleaning company.
DO #1: HIRE A TRUE PROFESSIONAL CLEANING COMPANY
Ask about credentials
All professional cleaning companies should be insured, trained, and certified through the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) or the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI). You can either ask or look at their website to see if they have the IICRC or CRI emblem on their site. Since this company will be working in your home, you should ensure they have the credentials so you and your home are treated properly.
DO #2: HIRE A REPUTABLE CLEANING COMPANY
Research online reviews for real people with real experiences
A good way to see what others have experienced is to search for online reviews. Take some time to do some research about a cleaning company before you hire them. Google, Facebook, Yelp, Yellow Pages, and many more websites/apps should have reviews that will give you a good idea about what to expect from a company. If there are no reviews to be found, this can be a red flag that the business is not legitimate or it is brand new. You can also look at the Better Business Bureau website for any complaints made.
DO #3: ENSURE YOU GET AN ACCURATE ESTIMATE
Tips to ensure you are getting the most accurate estimate possible
Offer to send pictures of your carpet to the company for a more accurate quote. Include pictures of specific stains and inform the cleaner what caused the stain.
Express your expectations when calling. Let the company know what your expectations are up front (budget, specific stains or general cleaning, areas to be cleaned, etc…). Normally you will get an estimate based upon these factors.
DO #4: HIRE A COMPANY THAT USES CARPET PROTECTANT
Carpet protectants extend the life of the carpet
Ask a cleaning company if they use a carpet protectant such as Scotchgard as part of the cleaning process. This protects your carpet from allowing stains to penetrate the fibers. When you buy carpet it has a factory applied protectant. Every time you have it cleaned, 25 percent of the protectant can be removed. Reapplying after a professional cleaning will extend the life of your carpet and you should not have to hire a professional cleaner as often.
DO #5: SAVE MONEY AND PREP BEFORE DAY OF CLEANING
The more time cleaners are in your home cleaning, the more it will cost.
Save the cleaners time by doing a little prep before they arrive. Move your furniture and free your carpets for easy cleaning. Vacuum your carpets thoroughly before the cleaners arrive. Ask for or request to have tabs or blocks left. Be ready to advise cleaners on problem areas and tell them what caused the stain. There is no one thing that gets all stains out. Knowing what they are dealing with will prevent them from trying multiple spot removers, causing the price to increase.
DON’T #1: HIRING A COMPANY THAT TAKES CASH ONLY
Accepting cash only is a red flag
Don’t use a company that only takes cash as a form of payment. This is a red flag that they are not a professional, licensed, certified, and insured business. Remember that they will be in your home so be sure and hire a professional, reputable company.
DON’T #2: FALLING FOR A “BAIT AND SWITCH” COMPANY
Cheap deals and estimates are never what they seem
Beware of coupons with an unbelievable deal to clean a room. Unfortunately in the cleaning industry there are many bait and switch companies. They advertise a great deal, but once they are in your home the price somehow increases drastically.
You get what you pay for and a true, professionally cleaned carpet cannot be done properly for cheap prices. Such a company cannot make money and will go out of business. Bait and switch companies do not have the equipment or supplies to perform the job satisfactorily or they are using poor marketing techniques just to get in the door and charge you more.
DON’T #3: HIRING A CLEANER THAT USES SMALL PORTABLE CLEANING MACHINES
Truckmounts are the industry standard for a thorough cleaning
Don’t use a company that uses small portable cleaners because they can’t clean as well as truckmount extraction machines. Truckmounts are the industry standard for true professional cleaning.
Move outs require you to get a professional carpet cleaning with a receipt in order to get your deposit back. Be aware that a poor cleaning could get denied by your property manager and you may be forced to pay another cleaner to do the job right.
DON’T #4: HIRING A CLEANER THAT DOESN’T PRETREAT HIGH TRAFFIC AREAS
High traffic areas need special treatment
Ask a cleaning company if they pretreat high traffic areas. Do not use a company that doesn’t pretreat. Pretreatment is designed to remove the heavy soil in the high traffic areas of carpet that can cause wear. The cleaner should also apply agitation on high traffic areas. Some companies look for ways to cut corners and this is a common step that is “missed”.
DON’T #5: HIRING A CLEANER THAT DOESN’T PERFORM THE FIVE CLEANING STANDARDS
Every carpet cleaning should have the same five cleaning steps applied every time
According to IICRC, there are cleaning standards that carpet cleaning companies should follow for every cleaning:
Ensure the company you hire performs all 5 of these steps. Applying a carpet protectant is an additional step that some professional companies practice in order to go above and beyond.
We hope these tips assist you in hiring the best company for your carpet cleaning needs. Move outs require a professional carpet cleaning in order to get your deposit back. Ensure the company you hire is certified, insured, trained, reputable, has the proper equipment, and passes all of the other do’s and don’ts described above. For more information about carpet cleaning, stain removal, carpet repair, tile and grout cleaning, and much more, visit our website and blog; www.ateamcarpetclean.com.
Though it’s tough to keep stains, dirt, hair, allergens, and dust out of your carpets without calling in a professional, it can be done! Taking a little extra time to care for your carpet in between cleanings prolongs your carpet’s life and also helps you to cut down on cleaning costs. Use these easy, affordable do-it-yourself tips to care for your carpet and upholstery.
- Invest in a Window Squeegee
You might think that window squeegees are only good for cleaning glass, but they are also one of the best ways to remove hair from your carpet:
- Choose a squeegee with a long handle so that it is easier to work with.
- Pull it in a single motion across the carpet or across furniture upholstery.
- As you drag the squeegee toward yourself, hair and pet fur will begin to form small clumps and piles.
- To remove the most hair, repeat the process as you pull the squeegee in the opposite direction.
- You can also pre-treat your carpet with a homemade solution of water, fabric softener, baking soda and vinegar. Spray lightly over the carpet and allow it to dry. The solution will soften sticky hairs and make it easier to catch them.
This simple maintenance routine allows you to go longer between professional cleanings and can also reduce allergens and dust buildup dramatically.
- Clean Messes Promptly and Carefully
If you are living with kids or pets, you know that accidents will happen on your carpet and upholstery. Unfortunately, these accidents don’t just leave stains. They can also leave terrible smells that permeate your carpeting and furniture – especially pet urine! Follow these steps for Do-It-Yourself stain clean-up:
- Avoid Rubbing – To prevent the smell and stain from sticking to the carpet, it’s important to avoid rubbing during cleanup. Exerting too much pressure can make particles sink deeper into carpet fibers.
- Remove Solids – Pick up any solid matter that you can. Try to remove it quickly in order to keep the mess from spreading. Fill a spray bottle with club soda or cold water and spray the entire area. Blot the moisture with a towel.
- Remove Stain – Make a simple cleaning solution. Allow salt to dissolve into two cups of warm water. Mix in two tablespoons of rubbing alcohol, four ounces of white vinegar and one tablespoon of laundry detergent. Dab the mixture over the stained area with a sponge several times. After blotting with a towel, repeat this step. If you don’t want to mess with making your own solution, purchase a Stain Removal product that is made and recommended by professionals such as our DIY Stain Removers.
- Rinse & Dry – When the area is clean, use a towel and some warm water to gently rinse the mixture from the carpet. You can use a fan or dehumidifier to make the area dry more quickly.
- Professional Cleaning – Some stains just cannot be penetrated with DIY techniques. If you try these steps and the stain will not go away, you need a professional cleaning. A-Team Carpet Clean offers stain removal services to all of Comanche County in Oklahoma.
- Care for Old Stains
Do you have tough stains that have marked your carpet or upholstery for years? Try this simple stain removal trick:
- Use a Solution – Create another homemade solution by mixing equal parts ammonia and clear Windex or yellow Windex with hot water.
- Saturate Stain – Gently pour the solution over the stained area until the fabric or carpet is saturated. Then, lay a towel over the stain and carefully iron over it with a clothing iron set to a low temperature. Be careful not to press too hard or to use too much heat.
- Remove Stain – Remove the towel and blot the stain carefully while avoiding rubbing. If you can still see the stain, repeat the process several more times until it has disappeared.
- Stubborn Stains – Some old stains cannot be removed with DIY techniques. If you try these steps and the stain will not go away, hire a carpet cleaner for professional stain removal services.
While these simple tips can help you keep your carpets fresh in between cleanings, it is still important to invest in regular professional care to extend the life of your carpet and upholstery. A-Team Carpet Clean provides high-quality cleaning services for both residential and commercial properties. Contact us today for a free estimate or to schedule a cleaning in order to keep your carpet looking, feeling, and smelling brand new.