As professional carpet cleaners, we know how important it is for your home to be clean and healthy. A healthy home starts from the ground up with clean carpet. Research shows that properly maintained carpet promotes improved indoor air quality for you and your family. In addition to having your carpet professionally cleaned every 12 to 18 months to remove embedded soil, we recommend daily vacuuming as the most important cleaning activity to extend the life of your carpet and enjoy a clean, healthy home.
- Change of Season – The best time to have your carpet cleaned is between seasons, especially after “dirty” ones like summer. Fall will be here shortly, so this month is the perfect time to hire a professional to deep clean your carpet.
- Back To School – Your kids and pets have been tracking in dirt and grime during the summer break. Once they return to school, it’s time to give your carpet a professional deep cleaning to be ready for the evenings spent doing homework on the floor.
- Carpet Warranty – Most carpet manufacturers require regular professional cleanings in order to maintain the warranty. Now is the time to check yours and make sure you are on schedule!
“Maintain your carpet according to Mohawk requirements including having a minimum of one (1) professional cleaning every 18 months using cleaning products, equipment, systems and services specified/certified with the CRI Seal of Approval. (Visit www.carpet-rug.org for a complete list of certified products.) You must show proof of cleanings in the form of a bill, invoice or statement for cleaning services.” – quoted from the downloadable brochure located on the Carpet Warranty page of MohawkFlooring.com
In addition to these 3 reasons, the most important reason is for cleanliness and good health. Research shows that properly maintained carpet promotes improved indoor air quality for you and your family. Your carpet acts as a sponge capturing unwanted dust, soil, pollen, dander, food particles, and a host of other contaminants.
As professional carpet cleaners we agree with the IICRC and recommend that carpets be cleaned a minimum of every 12 or 18 months, before it shows soiling. Contact us for more information or to schedule a carpet cleaning for your home or business within Comanche County of Oklahoma.
Pet stains are not only gross, they are damaging to your carpet and floors. As professional carpet cleaners, we have seen pet urine stains and smells that are so bad they cannot be removed, which leads to expensive carpet replacement. “Pet urine stains is among the top reasons we replace carpets in homes.” said Marc Holt spokesperson for 651 Carpets. We love our pets and want to share our home with dogs and cats without having to spend money to clean up after them all the time. Following are some things you can do to prevent pet urine stains and our tips for pet stain removal.
Pet Stain Prevention
Prevention is the key to keeping your carpets free from pet urine stains through proper house training techniques, signs of pet illness, and applying carpet protector regularly.
House Training Tips from Dr. Black – We are experts on carpets, not dogs or cats. So we asked a local veterinarian to share her tips on proper house training techniques in order to prevent accidents from happening. Dr. Catrina Black, D.V.M. of Midtown Animal Hospital in Lawton, Oklahoma says:
For dogs, I think the best way to potty train is with positive reinforcement. Start with small puppy pads too. Some of them have pheromones to attract the puppies to urinate on them. When they are used to a pad you just start slowly moving it toward the door then outside. A lot of dogs will learn from other dogs too especially if you have a doggy door. Also, reward them after they do their business outside with a treat. Any accidents need to be cleaned and sanitized immediately so the area doesn’t smell like a good place to urinate in the future.
Cats will naturally want a litter box. It needs to be cleaned or scooped several times a day. Leaving poop or urine in a litter box is like not flushing the toilet. Nobody thinks it’s cool to lift the lid and see a gross surprise. Keep the litter deep and it is easier to keep cleaned. There should be a litter box per cat plus one. So a house with 3 cats needs 4 litter boxes. These boxes should also be placed in quiet low traffic areas where they feel safe to go. Most inappropriate elimination issues with cats are behavioral such as the cat not liking the dirty box, not enough boxes, or a stressor in-house like a new puppy not letting your cat get to the box.
Pet Urination Problems – Again, we asked Dr. Black, D.V.M. how to know if something is medically wrong with your cat or dog or if it’s just house training woe. She advised when to see a veterinarian:
- If they are constantly having inappropriate elimination issues, have your vet rule out infections or other diseases first.
- You should seek medical attention for any animal that is not producing urine. They could have a urinalysis blockage. That is an emergency. Cats, especially neutered males, can have a buildup in the urethra that can block them. Both dogs and cats can have urinary stones called uroliths.
- Bloody urine, super dark urine, or large amounts of urine also needs to be checked out. The animal could have anything from a urinary tract infection to diabetes.
- Even normal animals should have a urinalysis done every 6 months to identify and remedy any problems that may arise. Spending $40 every six months is better than $1000 for a urinary issue. An ounce of prevention is work 10 lbs. of cure.
Protect your Carpet – Carpet Protectors such as Scotchgard will form a protective seal around each carpet fiber to prevent spills from soaking in immediately, keeping them on the surface until they can be blotted up. Carpet protectors will not prevent pet urine from creating a stain, however the stain will not soak in immediately and give you time to clean it up without immediate damage. Most professional carpet cleaning companies recommend your carpets to have Scotchgard re-applied after a deep clean. A deep carpet clean removes the protector along with the soil in the fibers leaving it a neutral ph.
Pet Stain Removal
We would like to say there is a DIY pet urine removal trick that actually works, but the key is to remove the urine quickly and with a professional product.
Carpet Cleaning Products – Most carpet cleaning companies will recommend a quality stain remover to purchase for use at home in-between professional cleanings. Sometimes they will even make their own pet stain removal product, such as A-Team Carpet Clean’s Urine Stain Remover. Carpet cleaning products sold in stores are not professional grade and do not remove the urine or the odor, so the extra cost for a professional cleaner is worth the price.
Professional Deep Carpet Cleaning & Stain Removal – Your carpets should be professionally deep cleaned a minimum of once a year, but more often if you have pets that live in the home. A professional cleaner has the equipment and products necessary to remove not only dirt and grime, but also pet hair and possibly urine stains. If a professional is not able to remove a pet urine stain, then it cannot be done and your carpets will need to be repaired or completely replaced.
We hope you find these tips helpful in maintaining a clean home for you and your pets.
There is carpet cleaner and then there is carpet protector (we prefer Scotchgard® Brand Protectant). What is the difference, and are they both necessary when looking for professional carpet cleaning services? If you want to extend the life of your carpet, keep it looking new, and clean up spills easily, protect your investment after your carpets have been professionally cleaned with carpet protectant. Be aware that many cleaning companies have the ability to offer carpet protector with carpet cleanings, but some choose not to. When looking for a professional carpet cleaning company, stay away from companies that do not offer all of the services needed to truly clean and maintain your carpets. Here are many reasons why you need a carpet protector such as Scotchgard® in addition to a professional cleaning:
- Protect – Scotchgard® will form a protective seal around each carpet fiber to keep spills from soaking in, keeping them on the surface until they can be blotted up. Not all spills can be prevented from staining, so be sure to use a household stain remover that is recommended or made by a professional such as our Spot Out Stain Removal or Pet Urine Stain Remover.
- Revive – Protectants lighten up and protect high traffic areas that are most affected by soil and stains.
- Reduce – With regular vacuuming, protectants help carpet fibers resist soiling, helping damaging debris to stay away from the fibers.
- Schedule – Your carpet was initially treated with a protectant by the manufacturer. Protectants such as Scotchgard® should last for a year, but will be worn down over time or be removed due to pet urine. The IICRC recommends a professional carpet cleaning every 12-18 months depending on household and pets, which is also perfect timing for a reapplication of protectant.
- Warranty – To keep the carpet warranty in effect, many manufacturers require that carpets are cleaned regularly and applied with protectant each time.
You’ve made a big investment in your carpet. Because carpets “ugly out” before they wear out, we recommend the combination of professional carpet cleaning and Scotchgard® protectant in order to extend the life of your carpet and protect your investment. For more information on carpet cleaning services, please visit our website at www.ateamcarpetclean.com.
Time is flying by because the holiday season is here! Thanksgiving is this week, then comes Christmas, and 2016 will be upon us before you know it. Holidays mean friends and family come together to celebrate the season – is your home ready for guests?
A-Team Carpet Clean’s holiday newsletter will help you prepare for the hustle and bustle with cleaning tips, SPECIALS, and much more. Happy Holidays!
The Holidays are Coming & so are the Inlaws!
Is your home ready for holiday guests? A clean home not only looks good, but is also important for your health. Check out our house cleaning tips in Home for the Holidays: How to Clean your House for Guests and our other cleaning-related blogs. For your deep cleaning needs, contact your local professional cleaning company or if you live in Comanche County of Oklahoma then give us a call at 580-713-1018 to clean your carpet, upholstery, and tile floors.
Local Carpet Cleaning Specials
Most local professional cleaning companies run holiday cleaning specials so take advantage of those now while at a discounted rate. For example, we at A-Team Carpet Clean in Lawton, Oklahoma are offering a Holiday Carpet Cleaning Special. Clients will receive a low moisture maintenance cleaning at $55 for the first room and only $10 for each additional room. A low moisture maintenance cleaning is ideal for brightening up high traffic areas and removing some spots, plus your carpets are dry within an hour or two! This special does not apply to rental move-outs that require a deep cleaning in order to get a deposit back. If you live in Comanche County of Oklahoma, contact A-Team today and schedule your cleaning before your holiday guests arrive!
Like most local professional cleaning companies A-Team is available 24/7 for flood emergency services; including water extraction and water damage repair. Every winter we respond to calls concerning flooding and water damage due to busted, frozen pipes. Check out our Water Damage Testing Tips so you know how to test for moisture in your home in the event of a flood. Contact us for professional water extraction services in Comanche County of Oklahoma and your home will be clean and dry within 24 hours.
Happy Holidays from our Family to Yours
Here at A-Team, we are not just co-workers. We are family and would like for you to get to know us better from our new website biographies coming soon.
We know there are other options available in Lawton, OK and are honored to be your choice in professional cleaning services. Thank you for being such loyal customers and friends! From our family to yours, we wish you the warmest greetings of the season and best wishes for happiness in the New Year. ~ Chris Collins, Owner of A-Team
For many folks, carpet cleaning is a task to leave for another day until weeks or even months pass. But carpet cleaning procrastination can cause a lot more problems than you might think. The Carpet and Rug Institute recommends that carpet be cleaned a minimum of every 12 or 18 months, before it shows soiling. Daily vacuuming is the most important cleaning activity, but deep Hot Water Extraction cleaning must be performed to remove stubborn or embedded soil. You might be surprised to find out exactly what happens when you delay cleaning your carpets and upholstery. Some ignored problems can actually become harmful to your health. After reading this blog, you’ll have plenty of reasons to clean on a regular basis.
- Moisture in carpets can cause asthma. Moisture is an enemy of everything indoors, especially carpets. Under the right conditions one may experience respiratory problems when molds, microbial growth, and other nearly invisible life begin to breed inside your carpets. If left uncleaned, the end result is a major health hazard.
- Dirty carpets attract and breed dust mites. Dust mites are nasty little bugs just waiting to sink their teeth into anything they can. They feed on stuff that finds its way down to ground level on carpet; such as bacteria, fungi, human skin flakes, hair and more gross stuff. When dust mites die, their bodies stay in the carpet until they are walked upon, which causes them to float in the air and where people can end up inhaling them. Doing so can cause the unpleasant symptoms we know all too well; rashes, nose and eye irritation, and more allergic reactions.
Mold loves dirty carpets. Mold has not exactly been linked to asthma attacks, however it definitely has unpleasant effects on people. The bacteria present in mold can easily buildup on carpets and then find their way not only into the respiratory system, but also in your mouth. When mold is ingested it will affect the body if allergies are present. If your immune system is already weakened by another condition, infection by mold spores can occur very easily. If you are experiencing the typical flu-like symptoms even on a warm summer day after spending time indoors, this may be a big sign that your carpet and upholstery is in dire need of professional cleaning.
- Mycotoxins are dangerous. Your body can shut down completely if exposed to and affected by mycotoxins, such as the highly toxic black mold. The results can be anything from infections of the stomach to respiratory problems, increased irritability, and even death. The immune system will begin to shut down as the body becomes more infected, allowing further worsening of the infection. Mycotoxins are no joke.
- Athlete’s foot in carpet. Athlete’s foot is just gross, but it’s unfortunately very common and easy to get. Dirty carpet is typically a carrier of the micro-organisms that cause athlete’s foot. These life forms would love to find their way into any cuts or bruises on your foot and infect it. This reason alone is worth keeping your carpets clean.
In most of the cases described in this blog, deep and proper cleaning can only be done by using powerful equipment which most people do not have available on hand. This can be alleviated through using the services of professional carpet cleaning companies instead. The price for carpet cleaning is worth avoiding the risk you take in allowing your home to sink in dust and mold.
As a professional carpet cleaning company, A-Team Carpet Clean strives to try and remove every stain that may fall in your home. However not every stain is removable, regardless of what chemicals are used or how many times it is cleaned. Most stains are removeable, but if not properly treated quickly the carpet will leave a permanent stain. Since this is not common knowledge among our customers, we feel that education is necessary to avoid false expectations for cleaning results. This blog will inform you about carpet stains that absolutely cannot be removed at all or unless treated quickly, and the options for taking care of these permanent stain situations.
Stains That Cannot Be Removed
Important – Always read and follow the care instructions and any warnings provided by your carpet manufacturer. Rugs and carpets with natural fibers and/or certain dyes may require special treatment. If in doubt, contact a cleaning professional for advice and service.
If not treated quickly, the following items will leave stains in your carpet and cannot be removed by a professional cleaning company (much less DIY stain removal techniques) as they will permanently ALTER THE CARPET’S COLOR AND FIBER:
- Acid toilet bowl cleaners
- acne medication
- alkaline drain cleaners
- chlorinated bleach (as pictured here)
- hair dyes
- mustard with turmeric
- plant fertilizers
- long term pet urine stains
The reason that certain chemicals will alter the carpet’s color and fiber is that nylon has dye sites that take color, much like human hair. Along with synthetic fibers that are colored, carpet is also made up of plastic which is made from products similar to plastic water bottles that can be easily physically altered by the wrong chemicals. Call a professional to assess your stains for potential removal or to see if bonded insert services are needed. Most likely the only solution is to insert carpet from a closet, or some other area into the area where the spot is cut out (as seen in this before and after picture).
Professional Stain Removal & Cleaning Benefits
Your best bet to save your carpet is to call a professional carpet cleaner immediately before trying to get the stain out with the thousands of DIY techniques you can find on the internet these days. Some of the DIY techniques will damage your carpet even further, requiring it to be removed when it could have been cleaned properly by a professional with the correct chemicals and cleaning techniques. Carpet cleaning services are much more affordable than bonded insert or complete replacement! We see this scenario play out so many times, so please know that it will save you money in the long run to call a professional before trying to remove stains yourself.
A-Team Carpet Clean offers professional strength pet treatments and spot removers for sale to use in your home. These products are safe for use on your carpets, upholstery, and tough laundry stains. They are designed to remove spots and safely assist in maintaining your carpet between professional yearly cleanings. Contact A-Team for more information on how to purchase these at-home pet treatment or spot remover products.
Another benefit to having a professional clean your carpet is that if any spots are not removed during the initial cleaning process, a legitimate company should employ specialty spotting techniques in order to remove the stains as shown in the before and after picture below. Your carpet should also be treated with Scotchgard Brand Protector to prevent future spots and soiling. Professional cleaning isn’t just for carpet that looks and smells good, it is for preventative purposes and extending the life of your carpet.
Please do not hesitate to contact A-Team Carpet Clean for more information concerning proper stain removal techniques and carpet repair services.