There is carpet cleaner and then there is carpet protector (we prefer Scotchgard® Brand Protectant). What is the difference, and are they both necessary when looking for professional carpet cleaning services? If you want to extend the life of your carpet, keep it looking new, and clean up spills easily, protect your investment after your carpets have been professionally cleaned with carpet protectant. Be aware that many cleaning companies have the ability to offer carpet protector with carpet cleanings, but some choose not to. When looking for a professional carpet cleaning company, stay away from companies that do not offer all of the services needed to truly clean and maintain your carpets. Here are many reasons why you need a carpet protector such as Scotchgard® in addition to a professional cleaning:
- Protect – Scotchgard® will form a protective seal around each carpet fiber to keep spills from soaking in, keeping them on the surface until they can be blotted up. Not all spills can be prevented from staining, so be sure to use a household stain remover that is recommended or made by a professional such as our Spot Out Stain Removal or Pet Urine Stain Remover.
- Revive – Protectants lighten up and protect high traffic areas that are most affected by soil and stains.
- Reduce – With regular vacuuming, protectants help carpet fibers resist soiling, helping damaging debris to stay away from the fibers.
- Schedule – Your carpet was initially treated with a protectant by the manufacturer. Protectants such as Scotchgard® should last for a year, but will be worn down over time or be removed due to pet urine. The IICRC recommends a professional carpet cleaning every 12-18 months depending on household and pets, which is also perfect timing for a reapplication of protectant.
- Warranty – To keep the carpet warranty in effect, many manufacturers require that carpets are cleaned regularly and applied with protectant each time.
You’ve made a big investment in your carpet. Because carpets “ugly out” before they wear out, we recommend the combination of professional carpet cleaning and Scotchgard® protectant in order to extend the life of your carpet and protect your investment. For more information on carpet cleaning services, please visit our website at www.ateamcarpetclean.com.