Though it’s tough to keep stains, dirt, hair, allergens, and dust out of your carpets without calling in a professional, it can be done! Taking a little extra time to care for your carpet in between cleanings prolongs your carpet’s life and also helps you to cut down on cleaning costs. Use these easy, affordable do-it-yourself tips to care for your carpet and upholstery.
- Invest in a Window Squeegee
You might think that window squeegees are only good for cleaning glass, but they are also one of the best ways to remove hair from your carpet:
- Choose a squeegee with a long handle so that it is easier to work with.
- Pull it in a single motion across the carpet or across furniture upholstery.
- As you drag the squeegee toward yourself, hair and pet fur will begin to form small clumps and piles.
- To remove the most hair, repeat the process as you pull the squeegee in the opposite direction.
- You can also pre-treat your carpet with a homemade solution of water, fabric softener, baking soda and vinegar. Spray lightly over the carpet and allow it to dry. The solution will soften sticky hairs and make it easier to catch them.
This simple maintenance routine allows you to go longer between professional cleanings and can also reduce allergens and dust buildup dramatically.
- Clean Messes Promptly and Carefully
If you are living with kids or pets, you know that accidents will happen on your carpet and upholstery. Unfortunately, these accidents don’t just leave stains. They can also leave terrible smells that permeate your carpeting and furniture – especially pet urine! Follow these steps for Do-It-Yourself stain clean-up:
- Avoid Rubbing – To prevent the smell and stain from sticking to the carpet, it’s important to avoid rubbing during cleanup. Exerting too much pressure can make particles sink deeper into carpet fibers.
- Remove Solids – Pick up any solid matter that you can. Try to remove it quickly in order to keep the mess from spreading. Fill a spray bottle with club soda or cold water and spray the entire area. Blot the moisture with a towel.
- Remove Stain – Make a simple cleaning solution. Allow salt to dissolve into two cups of warm water. Mix in two tablespoons of rubbing alcohol, four ounces of white vinegar and one tablespoon of laundry detergent. Dab the mixture over the stained area with a sponge several times. After blotting with a towel, repeat this step. If you don’t want to mess with making your own solution, purchase a Stain Removal product that is made and recommended by professionals such as our DIY Stain Removers.
- Rinse & Dry – When the area is clean, use a towel and some warm water to gently rinse the mixture from the carpet. You can use a fan or dehumidifier to make the area dry more quickly.
- Professional Cleaning – Some stains just cannot be penetrated with DIY techniques. If you try these steps and the stain will not go away, you need a professional cleaning. A-Team Carpet Clean offers stain removal services to all of Comanche County in Oklahoma.
- Care for Old Stains
Do you have tough stains that have marked your carpet or upholstery for years? Try this simple stain removal trick:
- Use a Solution – Create another homemade solution by mixing equal parts ammonia and clear Windex or yellow Windex with hot water.
- Saturate Stain – Gently pour the solution over the stained area until the fabric or carpet is saturated. Then, lay a towel over the stain and carefully iron over it with a clothing iron set to a low temperature. Be careful not to press too hard or to use too much heat.
- Remove Stain – Remove the towel and blot the stain carefully while avoiding rubbing. If you can still see the stain, repeat the process several more times until it has disappeared.
- Stubborn Stains – Some old stains cannot be removed with DIY techniques. If you try these steps and the stain will not go away, hire a carpet cleaner for professional stain removal services.
While these simple tips can help you keep your carpets fresh in between cleanings, it is still important to invest in regular professional care to extend the life of your carpet and upholstery. A-Team Carpet Clean provides high-quality cleaning services for both residential and commercial properties. Contact us today for a free estimate or to schedule a cleaning in order to keep your carpet looking, feeling, and smelling brand new.